Join us February 26th – March 5th, 2023 for this transformational experience.
Pura vida is a Spanish phrase often heard and used in Costa Rica and translates to pure or simple life. But more than that, it is a way of life embraced in Costa Rica. Pura vida implies living life to its very fullest. It is being present to—and grateful for—the simplest miracles that surround us every day. During this retreat, you will have the opportunity to fully embrace the pura vida experience. In the uncomplicated surroundings of the Vida Asana School of Yoga, you will be led through classic and time-proven yoga practices that help cultivate a sense of gratitude and open your heart to all that life has to offer. You’ll then explore how to take these practices into your daily life. Join us in the spirit of pura vida and learn how to pause, be present, and… Live Your Life Fully.
The Venue: Vida Asana Eco-Retreat and Yoga Center
Located on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, Vida Asana is located just 90-minutes from San Jose Airport. Situated between the lush tropical beauty of the jungle and the world-famous beaches of Playa Hermosa, this location provides easy access to a plethora of outdoor adventures, yet still offers a peaceful jungle setting for our retreat. Accommodations are simple yet comfortable, and all rooms are equipped with air conditioning, ceiling fans, private bathrooms, and hot water. Vida Asana has a beautiful pool, spacious sundeck, and restful hammocks tucked away throughout the property for quiet downtime during your retreat.
The Beach: Playa Hermosa
About a 15-minute walk, or an even shorter bike ride, takes you to Playa Hermosa. In Spanish, Hermosa means beautiful, but there isn’t much that isn’t beautiful here in Costa Rica! This surprisingly quiet stretch of beach with dark sand and beautiful views of the jungle behind is well-known as a surf destination. Choose to spend an afternoon taking a lesson or simply enjoy the cool breeze as you walk the beach looking for shells—and turtles—along the way. Part of the Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Playa Hermosa, this beach is the protected home of the Olive Ridley Sea Turtle. Head south far enough and it will be just you and the gloriousness of the sand and sea around you.
The Food: Delicious
Each full day of your retreat includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The meals at Vida Asana are created with a healthy lifestyle as the inspiration. Every item is made from scratch using whole, and as often as possible, organic ingredients—sometimes even using ingredients sourced directly from the property. Served buffet-style, you can take as much or as little as you need knowing that nothing will be going to waste. And if you find—which we think you will—the food is just to die for, then you might consider taking a cooking class during your stay!
The Yoga Practice: Rejuvenating
The heart of your retreat; each day includes a 30-minute silent morning meditation and three yoga classes (between 45 & 90-minutes long), one in the morning, one before dinner, and one in the evening. Held in the stunning surroundings of the jungle and on the choice of two beautiful yoga platforms, these all-level classes are designed to quiet your mind and open your heart while creating the space to cultivate a sense of gratitude and joy for the small, but profound gifts of life. Additionally, there will be opportunities to take your practice deeper with limited one-on-one sessions available or self-practice times, as well as a mid-week extended workshop option. Included in your retreat is the option to participate in Vida Asana’s daily community yoga class as well! Dive in, dive deep, and let your yoga sangha expand to include this little corner of the world…
Amazing Things to Do
Your retreat will be a time for going inward and reflecting, journaling about your vision for 2022, and finding joy in the simple things that life has to offer. HOWEVER, if softly dozing off by the pool or in a hammock every afternoon is not your vision, there is a plethora of things to do in the area! You can book a massage, take a surf lesson, or simply enjoy the beach. Our hosts at Vida Asana offer concierge services to help guide you to find the activity that suits you best. Options include horseback riding, zip-lining, surfing, stand-up paddle boarding, bird watching, bike riding, hiking, and walking the hanging bridge in Rainmaker Conservation Project Park, just to name a FEW. There is so much to do and see—be sure to bring your binoculars!
6:30 – 7am: Silent Meditation
7 – 7:30am: Break for Coffee & Tea
7:30 – 9am: Morning Yoga Practice
Breakfast time – 1pm: Open Time for YOU
- limited private yoga sessions available
- mid-week yoga workshop scheduled
Lunch time – 5: Open Time for YOU
5 – 6:30pm: Yoga Practice
7:30 – 8:15pm: Evening Yoga
Please note: Our schedule is subject to change in the pura vida fashion 😊
Your Retreat Leader:
Jennifer French, E-RYT 500, YACEP, AYS
Jennifer, owner and director of The Yoga Sanctuary, has an adventurous spirit and integrated teaching style that encourages students to explore the subtleties of movement in a way that is gentle yet challenging – and always infused with humor. Registered with the National Yoga Alliance as an E-RYT 500, and YACEP (continuing education provider), she more than fifteen years and over ten thousand hours of yoga teaching experience working with all levels of students, from the very new student to training those that hope to become yoga teachers themselves. Jennifer remains always a student and continues to study with her primary teachers, Tias and Surya Little of Prajna Yoga in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Join Jennifer for TYS’s third trip to Costa Rica!
Early Bird Registration: Shared Room: $1,750
- Final Early Bird Payment is due by September 22, 2022
Regular Cost: Shared Room: $1,950
- Final Regular Cost Payment is due by November 22, 2022
Limited single occupancy lodging available. Please EMAIL HERE for inquiries.
Deposit: $300 non-refundable deposit required to secure your spot.
- Shuttle service to and from Vida Asana
- 7 nights lodging in simple, yet comfortable and airconditioned eco-retreat center
- 3 full healthy, vegetarian-based, and locally sourced meals a day for each full day on-site
- Welcome refreshments and light snack upon arrival
- Dinner on arrival day
- Breakfast on departure day
- Daily fresh juices, coffee, and tea
- 3 daily yoga classes
- 1 daily silent meditation
- 1 mid-week yoga deep dive workshop
- Access to second Yoga Platform for self-practice
- 60-minute deep tissue massage
- Healing Cacao Ceremony
- Complimentary bicycle use
- Sangria night (with non-alcoholic option)
- Guided Mirador Hike along local lookout point made from modern ruins and claimed by local artists. Beautiful views and a leisurely stroll make this an enjoyable and accessible activity for all. Our guide will be our Vida Asana host.
- Access to a Retreat Participant ONLY Facebook Group to meet and learn more about the other participants on this journey with you!
What’s not included:
- Your round-trip airfare from home
- Tips for lodge staff, massage therapist, or any other services
- Cost of any excursions beyond Guided Mirador Hike
- Other non-included items are souvenir shopping, personal phone calls, additional massage, private yoga, or other wellness services, or taxis
- Personal, medical, or trip cancellation insurance.
- As of April 1, 2022 all travel requirements in relation to COVID-19 have been repealed.
The Fine Print (shared with love)
All deposits are 100% NON-REFUNDABLE. No exceptions.
- If cancellation happens BEFORE September 22, 2022: full refund.
- If cancellation happens BETWEEN September 22, 2022 and November 22, 2022: 50% refund.
- If cancellation happens AFTER November 22, 2022: NO refunds.
Please note that these policies are firm and NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
How to Get There:
Okay! You’ve decided to jump in and see what the pura vida life is all about! Here you’ll find some ways of traveling to the center. But before we get into the details of booking travel own your own…
Please be sure to join and utilize our Retreat Participants ONLY Facebook Group and perhaps coordinate your travel plans with other Retreat Participants!
You are traveling to Vida Asana, located in the Puntarenas Province, Jacó, Costa Rica.
- Fly into San José, Costa Rica
- Juan Santamaria International Airport
- Code: SJO
- If coming from Florida, there are direct flights out of Miami and Orlando
- From San José, there will be a shuttle that will take you directly to Vida Asana!
- More information concerning shuttle time will be made available as the retreat nears.
What to Bring:
- Running shoes for light hikes or activities
- Sandals for beach and retreat center use
- Day pack to carry water, snacks, and personal items to the beach or on tours
- A swimsuit!
- Beach towel or mat
- Sun screen
- Consider bringing a sun hat, sunglasses, and SPF clothing. Costa Rica is close to the equator, so the sun is intense and you will need protection.
- Light long-sleeved sweater and light loose pants for the evenings
- A rain shell and umbrella
- Water bottle and to-go hot beverage cup
- Moisturizer (or aloe vera just in case you get sunburned)
- Ear plugs. The sounds of the jungle are amazing and wonderful to sleep to, but if they are too much, you’ll have earplugs to help.
- Natural bug spray if you are sensitive to mosquitoes.
- US or CR currency for massages, tours, transportation, incidentals, and more! Cash will almost always be your easiest option for paying for these things and it gives you the maximum options.